Thursday, November 13, 2014

My Guild meeting and two more blocks

Last night I went to Guild and we had an amazing speaker, Al Cote of Niagara Falls, Ontario. Al has been quilting for 11 years and he has an amazing body of work. I didn't take pictures but you can visit his website to get a feel for his work. The pictures on his website just don't do his work justice; it has to be seen in person to be appreciated. His colour sense is divine and his use of prints is inspirational! Much of his work includes beautiful raw edge applique. In fact he told us he was getting so good at it that it almost looks like needle turn (true) so now he does shlapplique! What's that? Well he does his raw edge applique and then he schlaps some threads on top to create the appearance of fraying! One group of the items he showed was "quilted rugs". They are stunning and meant to be worked upon! This picture of three of his rugs is from Patchwork Garden Quilt Shop in New York. He taught a class there this summer! I saw the quilted rug in the middle and it was amazing. The picture just doesn't do it justice!



He also taught at Quilt Canada  this summer and the picture below is a close-up of the rug in the middle.


My Guild will arrange for an Al Cote rug workshop so you can bet that this girl will be signing up! If your Guild is looking for a wonderful speaker who will inspire and excite Al is a great choice! You won't be disappointed!

Today I'll share two more Gardens of a King pieced blocks. There two might just be my favourites! I would even consider enlarging the pattern and making a quilt with just this block!


I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this colour combination! The fabric in the centre has been used in other blocks in this quilt and I've also used it in my red Soupcon quilt and it is in my Love Entwined (must get back to that quilt this winter)!



That's it for today, Tomorrow is Value Proposition Hexagon Quilt Along and I'll publish Block 16. It's a dilly of a block and one of my favourites! So until I post again, happy sewing!
Karen H

5 comments:

  1. Your blocks are gorgeous. Thank you for the link to Al Cote's site. His technique looks fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm..When you said Al was Niagara Falls, I looked up where you are. It had never occurred to me that you might be so close, , in blogging terms, just 3 hours away! Hey Neighbor! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So on Bloglovin it reads that Al "has an amazing body..."

    My goodness, I thought! *click*

    "...of work." LOL! Maybe next time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing - both Cote's work and your blocks. I think I like these last two blocks the best. Thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those blocks!! Those were my favorites to make! And such interesting artwork you've shown us...

    ReplyDelete