Saturday, December 13, 2014

Value Proposition Hexagon Quilt - The Reveal

Yesterday I published the last block pattern in my Value Proposition Hexagon QAL.


In all there are 18 whole blocks and 4 partial side setting blocks. I designed the pattern with a triple path and selected two fabrics, both of which are very light but the middle path is just a shade darker. The effect is very subtle but it appeals to me because it shows off the blocks. A darker fabric would have made for a very dramatic quilt. It's all about personal taste! So now it is time to reveal my Value Proposition Quilt before the border is attached.


I am very pleased with how my quilt top turned out and if you've been sewing along I hope you are equally pleased with yours! If you didn't sew along but wish that you had it isn't too late. Links to all of the instructions and patterns are available under the tab Quilt Alongs by Karen H.

I know many of you have used the Flickr page to post pictures of your blocks and I sincerely thank you for that. I am very impressed with what I am seeing. If you haven't taken a look here are three quilt makers who have taken pictures of their blocks.

On Friday December 19 my post will be about the path (for those of you who need the help) and also about finishing the edges of the quilt. Those of you who are new to English paper pieced hexagons are likely asking how to deal with the edges of the quilt I will have several options for finishing your quilt! This is one of the fabrics that I am considering for the border on my quilt.


It is from Andover's Winterthur Museum line. This is what it would look like on my quilt. I also have an aqua print that I'm considering using (if I can find it in my stash)! It is still up in the air but hopefully I'll have made my decision by next week!


I'm liking up with Angie over at Quilting Readers Garden where you will find more hexagon inspiration!

Until I post again, happy sewing!
Karen H

17 comments:

  1. WOW, Karen, It's beautiful. I love the subtle path, maybe I should have realized that a bolder one would distract from my blocks, but my paths are all put together awaiting the directions for applying to the blocks, so I am not changing my mind now! Still have the last three blocks to cut out and make, with Christmas around the corner and so much to do, it looks like I will wait til January for that. I thought we were going to get a sneak peak at your border fabric.... I have mine already chosen from the start. Can't wait to work on this again and will post photos of my finish on flickr too. Thanks for the camaraderie and instructions. It's been so much fun. I love a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen! What a fantastic quilt! Am I ever glad I decided to sew-a-long! Your colors are terrific. I absolutely love the Winterthur border. Well done. I have enjoyed this project so much and thank you so much for all the wonderful directions and photos to accompany them. It has been such a pleasure. For all your hard work, a million thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful to see your blocks come together to create such an amazing quilt!! The play with value really adds a sparkling effect. I love the border fabric you've shown, it suits the top perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Karen it's beautiful love it and that border fabric is a show stopper. I just have to add the path they are all made so placement will be next. I have out of town company so it might have to wait a few days. Thanks so much for this journey.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. your quilt is stunning and the fabric you chose for the border is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am loving the border fabric that you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow your quilt is gorgeous! How wide is it without the border? I'm so excited to start arranging my blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Karen, it's fabulous! I love the fabric you have chosen for the border. And thanks for linking to Hexie Weekend so others can see this work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooooo - That's nice - and THEN you see the border fabric! Wow!! This will be truly stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely, it is beautiful. I especially like the 2 light fabrics, very subtle, but very pleasing to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Karen I don't know how you do all that small work. I've just finished working on a hexie pumpkin and my hands are killing me. Any secrets will be appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Your quilt looks very beautiful and the border fabric is just divine. I haven't been a huge hexie person but you could be changing my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my goodness is all I can say....it's gorgeous and I can only imagine the amount of hours and hours and hours you put in to it!

    ReplyDelete