Monday, February 23, 2015

Birds in the Loft layout of plan for the rosettes

I sketched the layout of the hexagon rosettes that will surround the medallion in my Birds in the Loft quilt. I will need a total of 100 pairs of hexagon rosettes for a total of 200 rosettes. If you look closely at my diagram you can see I've numbered the rosettes from 1 to 100 starting in the upper left corner moving left to right. When I got to 100 I moved to the bottom of the quilt and started in the lower right corner and numbered the rosettes from 1 to 100 moving from right to left. By mirroring the hexagon rosettes in this way I hope to add symmetry to the quilt (or that's the plan).


In the following diagram you can see the rosettes that will frame the medallion. The number 57s are opposite one another at the top and bottom. Number 100s are opposite on another on the side.


I think the red star hexagon rosette is dramatic so it will be number 57 which means it will be positioned at the top and bottom of the medallion.


Number 100 will be this brown hexagon which is also dramatic.


There will be a caramel filler piece between each of the coloured circles in the diagram above. Before sewing them to the rosettes they will need to have background fabric added to them so I will sew three background hexagons together and then add them to each of the eight caramel strips.


Here you can see the four hexagon caramel pieces with the background fabric added to my diagram.


The last thing I will share is a pair of rosettes. Sometimes I don't have enough fabric for two complete pairs as was the case with the following two rosettes. I had nine hexagons in total so I made one rosette with six of them and I added a second fabric to the remaining three hexagons and it works. I'm sure that there will be  others where I run short so I'll add something similar to complete the block!


The next step will to develop the plan to divide the background of rosettes into manageable sections to make the sewing easier.

If you are in need of more hexagon eye candy I encourage you to visit Hilda at Every Stitch. She has just posted pictures of her finished quilt Stars Meet Hexagons. It is a real beauty and exactly the kind of quilt that makes me want to sew, sew, sew!

Until I post again, happy sewing!
Karen H

7 comments:

  1. My goodness, you sure plan ahead! I fly by the seat of my pants ; )
    It's going to be amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your diagrams are so genius and well thought out. Oh my gosh it is going to be a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pfff, you still have to make a few hexies, haha. Nice to do.
    Groeten, dientje

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is going to be much bigger than I expected, but now that I saw your plan can visualize it, and of course, it is brilliant. I just came from Hilda's. It is a fabulous quilt also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness Karen! your organisation is amazing and so admirable, and aren't we all lucky to have you share on your blog?! thanks for the kind words about my little quilt - there was minimal organisation there though lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such a creative mind, this quilt will be another show stopper.
    Well done.
    Bunny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Inspired planning, this is going to be another stunner

    ReplyDelete