Thursday, February 19, 2015

Girl interrupted

I had planned on cutting more hexagons so I could make rosettes but this girl has been interrupted by you know who......Jinxie! He is about 8 months old and I'm hoping he'll settle down soon and that I'll be able to reclaim my sewing table.


So the cutting may have to wait for another day. Instead I stitched together the pieces of the medallion for Birds in the Loft. I also added to my diagram for the next round. There will be a round of off-white hexagons all around the medallion. I already had them cut and basted so I stitched them together and added them to the medallion too.


This is the Birds in the Loft medallion stitched together. It is now larger than my design wall so I'll have to start taking pictures outside but it is way too cold and there is far too much snow for that! For now this picture will have to do!


The next round will involve one final print but it will not completely surround the medallion AND best of all I can start adding some hexagon rosettes to the quilt. I've been through my fabrics and have pulled so many different colours and prints. What I finally settled on is a toffee coloured print that looks like a woodblock print. There is nothing on the selvage so I can't tell you anything about the fabric other than I've had it for several years and I quite like the look of it.


The caramel tones and deep crimson will work well with what I've already got in the quilt. I'll cut some 2 1/2" strips so I can make the hexagons if you-know-who wakes up and gets off my sewing table!


Until I post again, I hope your sewing is uninterrupted!
Karen H

17 comments:

  1. He's a little sleeping angel! Yup, you have a friend who is interested in your hobby. Karen, your medallion is absolutely gorgeous. This quilt is going to be another beauty. I can't wait to see what it will look like with the addition of rosettes. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear me, the quilt is spectacular. I'm just loving it. And little Jinxie. He looks so content and happy. I think he just loves to be near you - very near you. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is so cute and I know your problem. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful Karen. The switch to the blue bees really looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eight months and he is already big -- look at his neck! Very macho. I think you have named him well, because I'm pretty sure he's part tiger, and will not let you rest for many years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, your 'Birds in the loft' and JinXie. Hè is dreaming of a nice quilt with birds. He doesn't know how to get it, haha. Groeten van Dientje

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh m y goodness this is gorgeous. I started an oversized hex project years ago....its in the ufo pile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This project is looking great, love those colours together. As for caramel tones I think they blend in well with Jinxie - a good disguise!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such an interesting setting for your hexies. I love it!! Love your kittie pics...adorable!
    Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a sweetie pie-I find kitties so comforting-and fun as well-especially after a nap, even our 12 year old plus kitty comes to life full of energy lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. a very lovely medallion. your piece of cloth looks like block printed fabrics from India. these colours and prints are quite common here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chitra - I agree with you about the cloth - it really does have an Indian look and feel about it! I think fabrics like this add so much personality to a quilt. Sorry I couldn't email you directly but you are a no reply blogger!

      Delete
  12. He is cute!! Lovely to see your progress!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That boys eyes are liquid gold lol and he's just smitten with you face it!
    Stitching clearly comes 2nd!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are such an ambassador for hexagons and their settings. I'm loving this piece, Karen. Thanks for linking to WIPs Be Gone - so good to see your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  15. With such a cute face, how can anyone get mad at such a baby. I love seeing pictures of him and of course your progress on your hexagons too.

    ReplyDelete