Wednesday, July 8, 2015

REWIND: Tiny World Demi Tasse Pincushion


Welcome back to REWIND! Every now and then I "rewind" and republish one of my older posts that you may have missed! Today I'm going to share a post from July 2013 in which I write about quilting diamonds made of hexagons and a tiny Tiny World Pincushion. 

When I wrote this post I was seeing lots of straight line quilting and figured I would give it a try. I drew the lines on my quilt and used my free motion quilting foot to quilt them and it worked out quite well. The thread I used was Superior's Monopoly Invisible Thread and it helps to mask uneven stitches. For anyone who is working on the Brinton Hall quilt this post might give you ideas for quilting!

The pincushions in this post are so much fun to make. They are based on a pattern by Mimi Kirchner. You can get yourself a copy of this fun pattern in Mimi's Etsy shop.  The pdf pattern is roughly $10 Canadian and it is probably the best $10 I've ever spent! I should mention that the trees with trunks are my own creation and not part of the pattern.

* * * * * * * * *

Tiny World Demi Tasse Pincushion

I've been sewing bits and pieces for Tiny World Pincushions and I managed to finish yet another. I have two little gold demi tasses and here is the first of the two. The other will be finished another day!


To give you an idea of the size here it is next to the Farmer's Home - Winter Pincushion. I really adding tree trunks! And they are both working pincushions! Can a quilter have too many pincushions? I think not!


I'm still working on the feathers in diamonds in Butterscotch Ripple - there are two or three to go. This quilt is going a little slower than I would like but hopefully I'll pick up steam tomorrow. I've been doodling away like crazy trying to decide how to fill the diamonds after the initial feather border. My doodling isn't perfect or even accurate but that isn't the point. The purpose is to help develop ideas. I might not be able to quilt what I draw but it gets the creative juices flowing! And it did just that!


The outer feather is quilted in the example below and I drew two inner diamonds that are 1/2" apart to create channels. I used my blue water soluble fabric marker.


Close-up of the blue markings.


I stitched two diamonds inside the feather to create the channels and then filled the outer channel with circles. I'll leave the inner channel empty. I've tested this on the first block and I am happy with it. The next step will be to decide what to put inside the centre diamond. I may use a couple of designs to fill the diamonds. (Note: in my original post I didn't mention that I used my free motion foot to quilt the straight lines. I just worked slowly and the lines were quilted relatively straight. Once the fillers were added any wobbles disappeared.)


This is a close-up of the channels and the circles.


Now about those two rabbits I've been seeing in the garden. They were back again. They sure like the pond! Isn't he's a snappy dresser - blue plaid pants and a leopard print vest!


I was able to get fairly close - they didn't seem too bothered to have their picture taken but then in the blink of an eye they were gone!


Was it me or was it this??? The dreaded Grey Panther from two doors down!


* * * * * * * * *
So there you have it! I sure hope that you enjoyed this edition of Rewind. Until I post again, happy sewing!
Karen H

4 comments:

  1. good morning, so good to see those darling rabbits again-hugs Your pincushions are always so awesome as is your quilting.
    I am finally going to make some hexies again with my 1800's reproduction fabrics I found a vintage quilt that I fell in love with. enjoy your day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen. I do .ove straight lines but I also like the addition of the feather quilting. I have a pile of diamonds made from hexies somewhere.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love love love the snow scene pin cushion!!
    I enjoy your rewind posts so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cutest pincushions! Those circles look so precise, Karen. I really like how you quilted those diamonds. Thanks for rewinding!

    ReplyDelete