Thursday, March 10, 2016

More Empire hexagon blocks and The Trent Evening Quilters Guild

I had a great time in Peterborough sharing my quilts and teaching. I taught my techniques for English paper piecing at Alice Williams studio in Curve Lake and it was fabulous. She has a huge room with windows on three of the four walls so that the space is flooded with natural light and large work spaces. This is just one section of the workspace.


Here is a part of the other side of the work space.


I think that the students enjoyed themselves and that the came away inspired to create something really beautiful. Alice is a really warm and welcoming individual and her home is fascinating. Everywhere you look there is something to see. She has created little vignettes made up of things she loves and collects.


There were beautiful examples of beadwork on a large display board when you first walk in the door and her studio was filled with displays of apples of all sorts and hearts. Alice told me she loves hearts; must be because she has a big, warm heart! If you have a moment be sure to visit Alice's website Pimaatiswin Quilts. Thank you very much to Alice and the Trent Evening Quilters. I hope that you enjoyed yourselves as much as I enjoyed myself!

Today I thought I would share two more blocks from my upcoming QAL, The Empire Quilt. There will be eight hexagon units it total and then there will be four "partial" hexagon units. The first block is just a simple collection of rosettes in honey colours. I do love the warmth of this grouping.


The shape of the design within the next block reminds me of a flower vase! I've still got some of those lovely honey tones in the block. 


The colours/fabrics I've been using are cut from existing strips and scraps. I think the colours will work well with the greens that I've used in the centre panel If you are new to my blog this is the centre panel. The greens will be repeated in the outside edge of the quilt.


Last night I had the opportunity to see a trunk show by Debra Anger of Patchwork Sanity - A Woman's Piece of Mind. I came home just itching to sew. Debra loves scrap quilts and demonstrated how to make all fabrics work together in a single quilt. She also talked about fabric and block swaps. I was asked to help show the quilts so I didn't get a chance to take many pictures but will share those that I was able to take in a future post. Until then, happy sewing!

Karen H

7 comments:

  1. What a fabulous place to quilt all the day with friends....
    Wow...I wish you a wonderful weekend Karen !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Whetungs place on Curve Lake. A super place to spend time quilting...good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those honey colored hexies. What a warm cozy feeling they give off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice place is Alice Williams atelier. Much to see. Your hexies are, as always, beautiful. It's a plesure to look at. Groetjes, Dientje

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really looking good Karen! I love the outer borders! Colors are great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super place to be for a sewing weekend, love all the decorations and ofcourse the preview of your QAL. There is some of "my" fabric in one of the pictures again. This is going to be such a perfect project for my scraps and stash fabrics.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous work space! I never get tired of looking at hexies ; )

    ReplyDelete